On December 27, 2012, I loaded up my old Toyota with materials at Home Depot, and when I started the truck, I heard a minor explosion and smoked, or more properly, steamed up the parking lot like a DDT fumigator. As soon as I smelled it I knew I had blown a head gasket on the engine. As I was only about 4 miles from the project, I managed to limp it there, and so long as I kept my foot on the throttle, the pressure in the offending cylinder was sufficient to keep the steam cloud to a marginal VFR level for the cars behind me. Got to the job and unloaded the materials, but when I went to start it again, it was hydro-locked as at least one of the cylinders by now had filled with coolant. Nothing to do but call triple A and have it hauled one mile home.
Ran it for about a half hour and drove it around the block a couple of times.