Sunday, May 3, 2015

Some Saturday R and R

The last two weeks have been a bit of a blur. We learned the distressing news that dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and my friend Clint's mom passed away. In addition to our regular routine and springtime chores, digesting it all and helping Clint with clearing out his mom's assisted living apartment and her old house has kept us busy.
So as Saturday dawned sunny and clear, and we were due for a bit of R&R, some flying was in order.
180 hp in the Decathlon makes for a quick take-off out of KPWM. Taking off on RWY 18 we are almost 1000 ft AGL as we cross RWY 29-11
We are soon over my house
Looking back over my right shoulder as we pass my house, the arrow points at the airport.
We are over the Scarborough marsh in no time.
While the fog bank stayed mostly off shore.
A quick stop in to Sanford for some fuel and a quick sandwich.
On landing we pass a home built all composite Cozy canard taxiing for take-off
After lunch we head off for lake Winnipesaukee
For a bit of sight seeing
And catch a glimpse of Mt Washington still covered in snow
And we are soon back at Portland with the fog bank still hanging just off-shore.

10 comments:

  1. Niche short flight and nice pictures. I used to fly a Citabria many years ago, sort of poor cousin of the Decathlon but a pleasant to fly plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Decathlon is essentially a glorified Aeronca Champ with a symmetrical airfoil and 180 hp.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yael. It is a bitter pill to swallow. For now all we can do is make the best of what time he has left.

      Delete
  3. I love the flying pictures. Makes me sad I'm too old to fly anymore but I sure do like to look at your photos.

    Sorry about your dad, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harry, I knew it would come some time just didn't expect it quite this soon. Hopefully he can hang on for a bit longer.
      I don't fly nearly as much as I'd like to but that's the way the cookie crumbles when you are a slave to the mortgage. It is a great escape from the daily grind when I get it. You need to get in touch with your local EAA chapter and go to some of their meetings and fly-ins. There are plenty of pilots wiling to share the fun. Just cause you don't have a medical don't mean you have to quit flying. And someone with your level of experience always has something to teach others. So long as you have another qualified pilot with you he is PIC and you are 100% legal. If you never actually failed your medical and just let it lapse you can still fly LSA (1320 lbs and 2 seats) as PIC without a medical.

      Delete
  4. Only just read this - really sorry to hear about your dad. Here If you ever need someone to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kev, thanks for the thought. It has taken a couple weeks to begin digesting the dreadful news. I fear some hard times ahead. For now all we can do is take it one day at a time.

      Delete
  5. Hi Mike, my condolences. I always enjoy your photos of flying. When I was caretaking remote lodges, the owners always let me ride along. I had some pretty awesome flights. Since I retired, I have only flown in air taxis. Here it is hard to find someone who will take you along for a ride, even if you offer to help with fuel. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, nothing to do but try and make the best of it. I have a home-built project in the barn that if and when I can get back to it will some day provide the ability to do a bit more flying. For now I fear I have my hands full with other responsibilities.

      Delete