Saturday it rained pretty much all day , and it has been gray and wet for most of the week , so I had little hope of getting much done when we arrived on Ben's property on Sunday .
Rolled the frost posts covering the holes we bored last weekend aside , only to find . . . . .
. . . about two and a half feet of water in the holes , fortunately Ben thought to bring his dad's hand pump that made easy work of getting most of the water out of the holes .
After pumping them out , we got to enlarging the holes enough to fit the cast cement posts as the auger we used last weekend was not wide enough . Ben works for a land surveyor , so he brought his transit from work , and we were able to get the bottom of all the holes level with each other . Unfortunately the photographer was distracted and got no photos of the transit in action .
So the procedure was to stand the post up and walk them over near the hole .
Then with a three foot pipe thought an eye bolt set in the top of the post we picked the 230 pounds up . . . just barely
and lowered them in to the hole . . .
We must be good as we make it look easier than it is
Here is the video of the process . . . and I am certainly feeling it today
The middle hole on the right side row only went down about two feet due to a massive rock we were not about to mess with , so that kept us from using a frost post in that one .
So we set a Sonotube and mixed a couple bags of concrete instead .
Note the old geezer is doing all the work and the skinny guy is just standing around .
After about three and a half hours of work we got the six posts in and they were all mostly in line and tops were level with each other .
Two six by six timbers will go across those lengthwise and then we can build the deck for the shed on top of them .
Finished the afternoon off with a little bit of target practice . Not so steady a hand after all that huffing and puffing . Annie did better at it than either Ben or me .