Sunday, April 26, 2020

Hobo Barrel Cooking

Well old Glenn Filthie-cus was going on the other day about him and his fun-employed friends up in the People's Republik of Canukiestan , hanging out around the burn barrel chugging Thunderbird and hating on all the libtards , and since he did not invite me to the party I figured I had to come up my own hobo barrel .
 
 But not being satisfied with the classic open top bum rig I had to mix it up a little bit
I'll spare you the details , but all I did was cut off the lower third of the barrel at the middle of the roll ridge with my angle grinder .  By cutting it at the middle of the ridge , the lid can be fitted tightly on the cut , so we end up with about a twelve inch high barrel with top and bottom . Then I cut in a door and attached it with a scrap piece of piano hinge and some rivets . The whole thing is sitting on top of the remainder of the barrel with an old concrete propane bottle pad as a base .
It needs some sort of chimney so an empty Coleman propane fuel cylinder . . .
. . . pop riveted onto the bent up tabs of a 4 inch pie cut hole in the lid does the job .
There ya go , something like that
A couple lengths of scrap four inch flu pipe fit right over it real slick
Made a sliding door latch out of an old bench grinder rest I found in my scrap iron bin .
Load it up with some winter dead fall from the maple trees in the back yard , touch it off and smoke out the neighbors .
Took about five minutes to heat up enough to burn clean .
Here's the proof on Oy-tube for all to see . Took about 8 minutes to boil a gallon of water in that old wok .
There, our new out-door TV and Filthie can keep his rot-gut Thunderbird wine .
Load it up with some real wood and build up some coals
Just in the right place to keep an eye on it from the kitchen window while . . . .
. . .  I load up the dutch oven with some fixings for supper
Pop the lid off the rig , move the coals aside and set the dutch oven in the hobo barrel .
Pile some coals on top and let her rip for about an hour .
I did put the lid back on the barrel to keep the heat in as the coals burned down .
Behold the masterpiece .
Rake up the coals and chuck a few more sticks on it after supper .


11 comments:

  1. if i could build stuff like that i would do it all day long! this is just too cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaz, sorry for the delay. For some reason your comments always land in the "awaiting moderation" box and I am never notified they are there so unless I remember to check it once in a while they get stuck there and I never know about it.
      The project was fun and easy to do. I have a few more ideas I want to try.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha! you really smoked your neighbors away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, that right there is real livin'!!! That meal alone is worth the build!!!

    I like that you can remove the lid and poke around and bank the coals. It'd probly make a great heater for a sea can domicile too, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat it puts out would chase you out of a shipping container. I got the general idea from that Life Below Zero show on TV. Chip and Agnes use a no-bottom version in their hunting Teepee. Light weigh, easy to break down and transport on the sleds.

      Delete
    2. Here is the one that Chip built:
      https://www.aetv.com.au/shows/life-below-zero/video/life-below-zero-how-to-build-a-stove/
      Then I watched this neat video on this guy making a much more sophisticated rendition and thought why not something half way between the two.
      https://youtu.be/gIAroTrErRM

      Delete
  4. Great outdoor cooker. I need one of those when my wife starts cooking up dried fish, Keep the stink outside. That Agnes from Life below zero is a great shot. Did you see the one were she sights in a old 308? she hit a balloon that was almost out of sight. You wouldn't want to make her unhappy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one should be handy in summer time when its too hot to run the oven inside the house. I'll need to try baking bread in it some time.
      Not sure I have seen Agnes shoot a 308. Most times she is shown using an old Russian Mosin-Nagant that's painted all white. With those you not only have to be good but lucky. She's been feeding the family for a while with that clunker.

      Delete
  5. That is an excellent stove you built. And the dinner! Double excellent.

    Just for the record, I never drink Thunderbird wine. I did once, and once was enough. Now, for a good wine, I recommend that Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. Boy howdy, does that old Strawberry Hill bring back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say I've ever tried Thunderbird myself. The stove has come in handy to burn the odd tree droppings. Might have to set it up today to get rid of some brush I've had sitting in a pile for a spell. I did just re-roof that sorry looking tool shed.

      Delete