Saturday, September 15, 2012

Built a new Hibachi....


as the old hibachi is getting quite worn out from 30 yrs of use and abuse....

 .... I mocked up an idea out of poster-board
 and cut some 1/4 inch 6061 aluminum plates I had saved from a dumpster a few years back...
 and my friend Jonathan TIG welded it all up for me
including a new stainless steel coal grate
works like a charm... I start the coals in a 6 inch section of stove pipe with the propane torch from bellow and in 5 minutes....                            
its burning nice and hot
 ...5 minutes later...
 we add some swordfish steaks and some cherry tomatoes from the garden
success...
all in all I am pleased considering I was fully prepared for it all to tun in to a big blob of molten aluminum.. ash tray catches all the ash and it has a great draft and burns 3 times as hot as the old cast iron one as the aluminum does not act as a big heat sink and the aluminum reflects the heat much better than the cast iron.




No comments:

Post a Comment