Friday, March 18, 2016

The cobbler's kids have no shoes . . .

. . .  and the carpenter's house is never finished.
Progress is a slow thing , and there have been a couple changes in the plan since we started this monkey business of the kitchen remodel a couple of week ago .
I moved the stove over to the opposite side of the kitchen but we soon found that having it in the corner was no good and it really needed to be centered on the wall with a counter either side of it . But the window was in the way and moving the window to either side meant losing wall space for cabinets . Something had to give . So after a few days of scratching my head and cogitating about it . . .
I concluded that he Rinai heater was in the way and needed to be relocated . The living room would be the ideal place for it , so that's where it will eventually be reinstalled . In the mean time we will use the hot water baseboards for heat . Oil is cheap these days and we are coming in to spring anyhow .
So I yanked the Rinai off the wall and made a whole lot of room . Then the gas line can be used for the stove . Two layers of 3/8 drywall came off as well .
Much better layout , but it means either deleting the window all together , or going with a much smaller window right above the stove . Unconventional but I think I can make it work . So after a bit more head scratching I figured the best size and ordered a new window .
Framed out for the smaller casement window and ran new wires for new outlets, and under-cabinet lights .
Found an old pane of glass in my pile of saved junk to put in place while the window I ordered comes in .
Took down part of the wall between the mudroom and the kitchen and it makes things look a lot bigger and allows more light in to make up for the new smaller window .
 So this is the new layout .
The new window came in today so I got that installed and insulated the wall .
Allows me to view the birds in the patio but just shields my crack-junkie neighbor's house from view, with just enough space above it for the twelve inch high cabinet and a nine inch high extractor hood .
Got a bit of shingling to do to make things match again .

Hung some new drywall and got the cabinets back up temporarily until I have a chance to build new ones but that comes further down the line . There is still a bunch more tearing apart to do first . Oh yes I put the plywood back up between the kitchen and the mud room until I can put some better windows in the mud room . The one I took out of the kitchen along with a new matching one will go in place of the existing cheapo casements we now have .
Pearl approves so far , though she don't care for the loud noises I make in the process .

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. God only knows why she puts up with me.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lot of hard work, the kind of hard work I would have to hire done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Doc, Its not so hard, it just a matter of taking it in small steps. The tricky part is making sure it is back in some sort of functional shape come dinner time so I can use it and keep us fed.

      Delete
  3. Hey Mike, you got quite a project going. You seem to have it all under control and doing a fine job of it. Can hardly wait for the completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, Its coming along. It will be a few months before it is done. I have to build new cabinets and new counter-tops to fit the different dimensions.In the meantime we'll live with what we have.

      Delete
  4. Jobs always end up being bigger than you first think. I'm terrible for starting and then thinking, we'll I could just... I think your new layout will work well though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev, the thing of it is you don't know what you have until you tear in to it. And then your plans go out the window and you have to adapt to the circumstances. The ultimate goal was to have the stove on an outside wall in order to have a proper extractor vent and thus keep the kitchen cleaner and not set the smoke alarm off every time I cook. And then I am going to take down the wall between the kitchen and the living room and we'll have a nice counter we can sit at to eat so we can get rid of the table in the middle of the kitchen and free up more space. But first I had to prepare the wall for it all to go on to. And I am dealing with 75 years of half-arsed modifications.

      Delete
  5. Patience is the key to projects like these. Looks good. I wish I had your talent....and patience, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talent not all that much, its more a factor of having been in this racket for thirty plus years that has taught me where I can get away with fibbing it. As for patience . . . . well lets just say its a work in progress, but I am getting better the older I get. At least I don't get quite so flustered by the unexpected anymore.

      Delete