Friday, July 13, 2018

Adding a receiver hitch to the skidder post

Found a twelve dollar receiver for a tow hitch at Mardens Discount a couple weeks ago, so I figured it might come in handy for the SKIDDER POST I built for the tractor in May .
So I brought the post back home and went at it with the angle grinder .
Cut out a two and a half inch section out of the bottom of the post .
And welded in the receiver .
My welds are nothing to write home about , but all in all not half bad for a hack .
Hit it with some rust converter and a can of orange spray paint I had on hand .
Ran it back up to Mom's and bolted it back on the three point hitch on the old Ford yesterday.
Looks spiffy , but beyond that , it will allow me to . . .
. . . build something like this next .
So that I can back right up to a log and lift it and chain it up without having to go through the trouble of digging under the log .

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yea, from about ten feet away. Just don't look at my welds too closely. They are rather frightening.

      Delete
  2. I blew the pictures up you did fine on those welds :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA, a thick layer of paint hides all kind of sins. ;-) . I was having trouble with my little Clark MIG welder. Could not get it to quit sputtering. Not sure if it is the drive on the wire fed, the shielding gas or simply the mook behind the trigger. Need to figure it out. Had to finish the job with a little Craftsman inverter stick welder. Still not pretty. I did haul one fourteen foot, twenty inch diameter piece with it after this modification, and it did not break, so I guess it is good enough to do the job. But I really want to learn to lay down a roll of dimes like the pros.

      Delete