Yea , it has been a while since I posted any updates . Truth is I have had my hands full and other things were taking my time . Motivation was jut not there . But here is this summer's project .
This is Murphy... he got a new pine floor last fall
This year it was time to tear out the old kitchen as it was getting long in the tooth .
Then two layers of linoleum flooring and Lauan underlayment had to come off .
The first one comes up .
Then the second one has been screwed with square drive screws that need to be pulled first .
Comes up slowly
Got the floor cleaned up .
Then the old window needs to be relocated .
New window framed in .
The new window hole covered with poly to keep out the rain .
After I got all the cabinets out and tore out all the drywall, the plumber and electrician did their bit to rough their stuff in . . .
. . . I insulated with rock wool , and got the new window installed .
And hung the drywall solo .
Then I spent a week taping the wallboard joints
More mud .
and more mud
Murphy was happy to have company during the day too .
After Murphy's owners did a bit of weekend painting I started moving the new cabinets in trying to sort out a giant jigsaw puzzle . . . .
. . . . and started hanging a few boxes .
It's all starting to take shape .
The fridge spacing took a bit of struggling to get right as the walls were not square or plumb .
The unit with the glass doors over the fridge space went up and down about eight times before I got it right.
Then the crown molding provided with the kit went up . . . only the customer was not so keen on the looks , so I removed the crown molding .
And we opted to go without it and just fill in the ceiling gap with the straight filler provided by the vendor .
Just getting that bit right took several days work and some creative language .
Murphy's owners went on an extended weekend so he came home with us instead of going to the kennel .
Picked the hottest day in July to do the shingling around the new window so I set up a temporary awning with some cardboard from the cabinet shipping boxes .
With the fan in the window blowing on me it was just manageable .
Looks almost like I knew what I was doing .
Dressed up the inside with a bit of fancy trim .
Then it was time to play with the island . These were three old shop cabinets that were built by the customer's father that they wanted to use as part of the new kitchen . They were different enough that we agreed a permanent installation was probably not the best solution . Having the unit removable provided some advantages should they eventually sell the house they could take it with them . So I bolted the three cabinets together and put the whole thing on casters .
Here is the general idea with the movable unit up to the fixed island . In the middle of it all the tile man need the space for a week to do his thing .
After the tile guy was done I had to figure out how to make a finished end on a cabinet that originally would have been buried per the vendor's specification . Had just enough of the flat panel to dress it all up .
So when the movable unit is removed it looks presentable .
Then the plumber showed up with the cast iron farmer's sink . So I had to do a bit of modifying to the cabinet to support it as unlike traditional sinks it is an undermount and you can't hang it from a stone counter , so I added some structure under it to carry the two hundred pound weight .
Then it was time to play with the butcher block counter tops for the island , These were some old two by seven foot slabs of two inch thick workbench top also built by the customer's father . I found a shop that could run them through a big belt sander and remove forty years of grime . Then I had to cut them to length and re assemble them to fit our needs. They were held together with some glue and long threaded rods .
Bought a seventeen inch long drill bit to try and drill the twenty four inch wide boards and hope to meet in the middle .
Got lucky on one end but ended up having to break apart the weaker joints to allow me to drill through them all separately. It is amazing how far a long bit will wander of course over seventeen inches .
Re-glued and bolted the pieces together .
Sanded and oiled , here the smaller unit for the movable part of the island .
The bigger top for the fixed part of the island had some holes that must have held a bench vice at some point . So I plugged those with some birch dowels for contrast .
Sanded and oiled .
It just barely fit in my van. Finished weight on the 48 x 57 inch piece was also a couple hundred pounds .
After I got it to the job-site I installed a lag bolt in the wall and cut the head off. . .
. . . and a corresponding hole on the side of the bench top to help support the cantilevered part of the bench top .
Finished product .
And the movable bench in its place .
The soapstone counters were installed .
Soapstone counter over the sink makes good contrast .
Dining room side of the island .
Job finished .