Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Steel-Head and Salmon smoking

Got some more reasonably priced farm raised Salmon and Steel-head Trout from Chile at Sam's club on Friday. Wish it was wild caught but no such luck here in southern Maine.
Steel-head trout looks promising...
cover liberally with a mix of 50/50 kosher salt and brown sugar as well as garlic powder, pepper and dill.....
 after 36 hours wrapped and weighted down in the fridge it looks like this....
rinse, pat dry with paper towel and set on racks to air dry under a fan for about 3 hours...
11 am and in to the new smoker... this one made from a suitably modified old cabinet saved from another kitchen remodel job. Note racks on dowels substitute the old shelves also ports for smoke to enter and exit. As its raining today I did my set up in the wood shed behind the barn.
This time I am using a 5 qt cast iron dutch oven on my electric burner as a smoke generator. A tight fitting lid I made out of .0050 aluminum sheet and suitable connectors to a dryer vent hose, feeds the smoke to the cabinet.
lowering the smoke generator helps the flow a bit...
chimney seems to be flowing well....
I'll let it rip till 8 pm or so and see what we have for results tonight..
Postscript: 36 hours salting was to much. And the results were saltier than I like. The previous batch was only about 22 hrs and was much better. Live and learn.

2 comments:

  1. Tried to join, but Blogger won't let me. I'll try another day.

    Do yourself a favor, if you want followers. Moderate the comments that readers leave, so you can get rid of word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete