Tore four layers of drywall off the wall between the kitchen and the living room .
Pulled up the old Berber carpet in the living room and found beautiful Douglas Fir flooring that will clean up nicely with a minor sanding .
Last week I bought a 8" x 6" x 12 foot pine timber .
Went at it with the planer to clean it up .
Hit it with the belt sander with 60 grit .
And 120 grit to clean it up a bit .
Today I put up a temporary wall in the living room . . .
. . . to hold the upstairs floor in place while I took down the old wall
Lugged the beam in to the kitchen a little at a time . Yes all by my self . Note the rabbet I cut in the beam to fit the top plate of the old wall and the mortise on the end to fit around the wall by the fridge .
Working very slowly , one step at the time , I shifted it in closer to its final destination .
Got one end on the small ladder first and then the other on top of the fridge .
Got the fridge end up and in place with a punch under it , and started jacking the other end with my high lift jack .
. . . and up in place .
Makes for a nice big open space .
I am pleased with the results .
Just as I had planned .
The big let down was when I was jacking the end by the fridge in to final position the jack slipped and gouged the fridge door . Really put a damper on the feeling of success . I will need to figure out how to repair that one . For now we will hide it with a magnet .