Saturday, October 8, 2022

Why is it . . .


  . . . that everything I do inevitably involves digging ditches and pain ?


 Checking items off my to-get-done-before-winter list. . .

 

I sealed all the seams where the wall meets the slab in the Volvo shed with polyurethane caulking.

 
Then screwed down 2 X 4s over latex painters caulk as forms .
 
 

Mixed six bags of Concrete

and got on my knees to cause more pain and fill the forms

like so

Next day I pulled the 2 X 4 forms off and got this . . . yea not perfect but it will have to do . 

I will attend to those gaps with some Waterplug later.

A coffer dam , that when I put the Volvo away in December I will complete , by adding a 2 X 4 bedded in caulking across the entrance . 

And why , you ask , all this fuss ?

. . . cause the grade outside is higher than the garage slab and this is what winter does .

 
. . . which creates more toil and pain . . . cause if I don't

. . .  when it rains this happens . . . 

. . . and then it gets really cold and this happens , which causes several days more pain and toil.

And then this also happens along the south side for the garage .

So . . . after much cogitating I pulled the vinyl siding off the wall and dug a ditch .


Annie took pity on my sorry ass and dug a good bit too.

I pried that ten inch thick , five hundred pound concrete pad about eight inches away from the garage door . And then I found the 220 volt supply line from the house to the garage buried in the ground without a conduit . Yea I have found all sorts of real sketchy work on this house .



So , flipped the breaker in the main panel , I dug the wire out and disconnected it , bought some one inch PVC conduit . . . .


 . . . and ran the wire through the conduit .

After saturating the bottom of the plywood sheathing on the wall several times over with a mix every bit of old polyurethane I had , I coated the joint where the plywood meets the slab with roofing tar .

After that dried for a couple days , I covered the joint with Bituthane . . . .

 

and built a form six inches out from the wall


 Yea . . . I don't have a clue what I'm doing . . . just making it up as I go along .

Chucked a bunch of rocks in there to bulk things up and save on concrete .

. . . . aaaaaaand mixed six more bags of concrete . . .

and poured . . .

Next day when I pulled off the forms it looked like this .

. . . so I extended the form and mixed and poured three more bags to complete the curbing under the side door to the front of the garage .

Then debated what was best to fix the corner to the entry gate so I figured why not more concrete with some more of that fancy fiberglass rebar ?

 
Should be only three bags right  ?
 

yea sure . . I need a new wheel barrow too . . five bags later . . .

. . . I'm back on my knees hurting myself again . . .

. . .  doing penance for my sins .

Twenty bags later, eighty lbs each , got me this far .

And I'm not done yet , I still need to extend the slab out from the doors a foot or so . And sort out the siding on the five inch gap on the garage wall .



6 comments:

  1. Mike, you are a glutton for punishment! Did you know you were buying a bog? Glad you weren't shocked by your rednecked power lead at 220 volts? That would have woke you up without the benefit of coffee....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea the whole town is a bog, though we are on the hill. Low end of the hill, but still the higher side of town. Unfortunately the mook that built the garage before we bought the place built the slab too low. Should have been about six inches higher. Hope what I did makes the difference.
      As for being shocked by 220 volts I dodged the bullet this time, but I did get hit once when I made contact with a mis-wired stove outlet with a vacuum cleaner. Felt like a baseball bat to the chest. It sent me flying about eight feet across the kitchen. Didn't care to repeat that experience this time, so the breaker got flipped off before I messed with the wire.

      Delete
  2. I'd have tempted to just get rid of the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't solve the problem. Its the one thing dad left us when he kicked off four years ago, so it has a sentimental value in addition to the pleasure we derive from being part of the antique car community events.

      Delete
    2. When we get EMPed, that Volvo will be the only car around that will start and run.

      Delete
    3. Yep... and its relatively easy to work on too. And given that I have a spare engine and transmission as well as a couple crates full of spares I can pretty much keep it going forever.

      Delete