It's summer time so the little Hibachi I built eleven years ago gets a good workout .
After eleven years of hard use there is not much left to the old ashtray
Then I remembered I had the old stainless steel casing from a microwave that had crapped out a few years ago , so why not build a new one out of that material . Should outlast the old galvanized one .
Scheming things out . . .
Cutting and bending , fat , dumb and happy thinking this may just work out .
When the thing jumped out and bit me , reminding me to not get to smug , as nothing happens without some blood sacrifice .
Seems a corner of the box sprung back while I was attempting to make a bend and stabbed me right on the top of the knuckle right down into the joint . It did not really hurt all that much but did start pouring blood quickly . After ripping off my gloves I realized this was going to take a bit more that a Band-Aid to patch up . I hosed it out with copious amounts of hydrogen peroxide and it was evident it really merited a couple stitches , but having gone through the routine several times before , the hassle of all the wasted time and insurance BS at the clinic convinced me to find my own solution . I applied some sulfa powder to stem the flow and some crazy glue to hold the split together and managed to carry on clumsily without an operating opposing thumb .
And actually finished making the ash tray before the pain set in .
And made use of the Hibachi after all
After running the torch for about five minutes we have good hot coal and can remove the flue pipe
Give it another five minutes for the flames simmer down enough to cook on .
And managed to have a nice meal
After five days the thumb had improved enough to clean off the crust of sulfa powder and crazy glue , but not quite enough to be able to make enough force with it to hold a wrench .
When the furnace service company sent over their junior mook to do the annual service on the furnace and he decided the flare fitting on the furnace oil line coming from the filter on the tank needed tightening . The next day I noticed it was dripping badly . Given that he had given me a bunch of BS about how my installation was not to code and I needed to install a new double walled five thousand dollar tank , I really did not feel like having him back for a repeat .
The drip was about a quarter cup in volume over twelve hours so I needed to do something more permanent than a catch can under it . Yet I did not have an operable opposing thumb to cut the line and remake a new flare .
When my good buddy Scott , a retired oil tanker chief engineer , came to the rescue .
With one of these hot-shit twenty eight dollar , oil tanker approved , stainless steel double ring compression fittings .
And had us back in operation in about twenty minutes flat .