Building things, fixing stuff, wrenching on cars . . . . . and some other stuff too.
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Seems like rust is a theme this year. The Toyota has been parked for nearly three years while I rebuilt the engine. Ever since I got the truck running again I have been dreading the state inspection. The truck is now 21 years old. Winter salt has done a job on it. But I was determined to resurrect the thing and get it on the road again. So I had to make an effort to clean it up a bit underneath
This gives you an idea of what 21 years of winter salt does to cars here in Maine.
So after pecking away at it for a about six weeks with a welder's hammer,
steel brushes, grinding wheels and other assorted implements of
destruction . . .
. . . and making multiple piles of rust like this one . . .
and filling a 5 gallon bucket with rust
. . . and coating it with Rust-Prep
. . . I get it looking somewhat better. New gas shocks were installed.
No, I am not done yet.
The rear axle, brake lines and related brackets got disassembled, cleaned of rust, hit with Rust Prep and two coats of Pettit Marine Trailercoat, a moisture cure paint. New gas shocks and brake pads went on all around. New shocks got coated with 3M rubberized undercoating before installing.
Rebuilt a broken exhaust hanger
Made a new tail pipe and hanger out of a suitable bend of old stainless pool stair tubing I had saved in my junk pile.
Snappy looking tail pipe.
The home made bumper got a new coat of Pettit Trailer Coat as well
The aluminum wheels were looking rather sorry as well
So I hit them with paint remover to take off the old damaged clear coat. After that it took about four hours of elbow grease per wheel with steel brushes on the drill to get them clean.
Mask off and re spray with gray self etching primer and new clear coat
Looks a lot better now, repeat entire process X five.
Then I took it for the state motor vehicle inspection and it did not pass.
New front sway bar bushings were required, so I installed new sway bar bushings and end link kit. Repaired a minor exhaust leak and a minor tightening of the front driver's side wheel bearing.
So on Monday 10/26 I took it back for a second go at the state inspection and nearly three years after I blew the head gasket on the truck it is now fully legal again.
The resurrection has been sanctioned and approved by the powers that be.